Unit 1: Redefining World Society and Culture
Lesson D: Life and Times in the Pre-Modern World
Activity 1: Analyzing Images
For some civilizations, we are fortunate to have images that we can use to help us understand how people lived. Let us look at a few American images to practice some skills regarding examining images.
Classroom Activity - Analyzing Images
Directions: Prepare a response to the discussion questions below. Follow your teacher's directions to participate in your class discussion.
- What event does the image portray?
- Who created the image and why?
- What does the image suggest the creator and the civilization valued? What makes you say this?
- Who is in the image, and who is not?
- What conclusions can you draw about the way people lived based upon the image?
Select the link to review the Discussion Scoring Tool (pdf).