Unit 4: Nationalism, Industrialism, and Imperialism
Lesson B: Resistance to European Rule in India and SE Asia
Activity 7: Growth of Nationalism in India
As segments of the Indian population became more educated, they began to question the entire system of imperialism. These early questions laid the foundation for 20th century nationalism and independence in India.
Historical Investigation - The Development of Nationalism in India
Directions: For this activity, open the student resource titled Historical Investigation - The Development of Nationalism in India. Use the documents to investigate the early development of Indian nationalism.
- Download Student Resource: Historical Investigation - The Development of Nationalism in India (doc).
- Select the link to review how to complete an Historical Investigation.
- Submit your answers to the completed historical investigation to your teacher as instructed.
Classroom Activity - Nationalism in India
Directions: Prepare a response to the discussion question(s) below. Follow your teacher's directions to participate in your class discussion.
- Describe the issues in India during the 19th and 20th centuries.
- How did these issues spark the rise of Indian nationalism?
- Which issue was most responsible for the rise of Indian nationalism?
Select the link to review the Discussion Scoring Tool (pdf).