Unit 1: Redefining World Society and Culture
Lesson D: Life and Times in the Pre-Modern World
Activity 7: Role of Women
Written Activity - Notebook
Examine the image to the right and answer the following questions in your notebook. A reminder, you may not be able to fully answer all of these questions.
- What event does the image portray?
- Who created the image and why?
- What does the image suggest the creator and the civilization valued? What makes you say this?
- Who is in the image, and who is not?
- What conclusions can you draw about the way people lived based upon the image?
You just analyzed an image of female musicians. Very few pre-modern images portray women. The fact is that sometimes women in history have been overlooked. Today, many historians specialize in analyzing the role of women in history. In this next activity, you will have the opportunity to use the skills of an historian to analyze the roles and legal and social status of women in the pre-modern world.
Historical Investigation - Women in the Pre-Modern World
Directions: For this activity, open the student resource titled Historical Investigation - Women in the Pre-Modern World. Use the documents to investigate the roles of women in the pre-modern world.
- Download the Student Resource: Historical Investigation - Women in the Pre-Modern World. (doc).
- Select the link to review the how to complete a Historical Investigation.
- Submit your answers to the completed historical investigation to your teacher as instructed.
 Source: This image from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Women_playing_music.jpg is in the public domain because its copyright has expired.